If you're seeing this, it's because you've raced Lasers at HYC before or reached out recently wondering how the hell to get out there on the water every Sunday all winter long with a bunch of good peeps, young and perpetually young, fast, and nearly fast, and give it your best, for fun, for sport, for the sheer beauty of the thing that is racing small boats during the wintertime.
So follow the link here and read the full invitation to join the Laser Frostbiting fleet at Huguenot YC, and find there also the registration page and schedule for the season. [see below]
And please pass it around to those you think might be interested or otherwise let me know who else to send it to.
A couple of special notes here:
Any questions, fire away. Either I or someone on this list will answer it. Or send me something off the list, which is fine too.
To get the ball rolling:
Who needs to find a boat to charter? Say it here and to all, and those reading who know of one available, let it be known.
Laser Racers, Laser Racers, [and ILCA]
Huguenot Yacht Club would like to invite you to join us on the beautiful winter waters of Western Long Island Sound for our 2021-2022 Frostbiting Season. We get underway Sunday, November 1st practice racing to shake out the cobwebs. The official races start November 7th, running races as the rest of the world hibernates through to April 2nd, 2022.
What to expect:t
• Up to eight (8) Windward/Leeward, Triangle, Harry Anderson, or No-jibe courses every Sunday (with an almost leisurely first start time of 1300.) The races are run fast and fun, and you still get back to the club with time to debrief and decompress with your fellow racers, enjoy a bite to eat or otherwise kickback. The season scores are separated into two series - a Fall/Winter Series and a Winter/Spring Series - with prizes for each and a Season Overall Trophy. We also close out the season and as the weather warms with a navigator's race finale we call the Execution Rocks Race Out and Return (affectionately known as the ERROR Race.) [April 2, 2021 - high tide 1306 EDT]
• Open to ILCA and Lasers: Standard, Radials, and 4.7 rigged Lasers; which may start together but will be are scored separately.
• Comfortable RC boat and a Safety Boat to catch all your winning moves or occasional capsizes.
• A warm club room for suiting up.
• An even warmer bar and dining room for post-racing debrief and coffee, refreshments, dinner.
• Winter Membership which allows for the above perks of club membership. (Note: You do not need to be a full member of HYC to participate in the Frostbiting season - the program is open to racers not currently affiliated with the club.)
• Costs: A $200 Wharfage Fee gets you Laser dock space in protected waters, ready to rig, push off and go; $250 Entry Fee (for 1st skipper, and $125 for 2nd skipper if you are sharing a boat) pays for the race management, use of the club equipment, and the season-end Awards Ceremony; and a $50 Winter Membership (for non-HYC members) allows you club access.
• Need to charter a boat? Let us know. Though HYC does not charter boats, there are always a few boats available to charter from individuals and we'll put you in touch. The fee for this will vary depending upon the charter, but if the past is any indication, it's been about $500 for the season.
• What else you need: A drysuit, PFD, and bowline, are the only mandatory equipment so start getting your kit together now.
• How you can help: Forward this to anyone you think might want to join or otherwise put them in contact with me at the email below! We also have room for extra Race Committee Volunteers (yes, you can bring your family and friends to hang out and watch the races from the RC boat); so let me know who might want to come out.
• To keep us organized:
Check out our website for general info: https://www.hyc-lasers.org
Hope to see you on the water!
HYC Laser Frostbiting Fleet Captain
|Oct 31||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Haloween||Practic Races|
|Nov 7||11:30am – 12:00pm||Skippers Meeting|
|Nov 7||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 1||Daylight-Savings Ends|
|Nov 14||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 2|
|Nov 21||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 3|
|Nov 28||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 4||Thanksgiving & Hanukkah weekend|
|Dec 5||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 5|
|Dec 12||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 6|
|Dec 19||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 7|
|Dec 26||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 8||Christmas & Kwanzaa weekend|
|Jan 2||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 9¾||New Years|
|Jan 9||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 9|
|Jan 16||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Fall-Winter 10||ML King Jr weekend|
|Jan 23||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 1|
|Jan 30||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 2|
|Feb 6||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 3|
|Feb 13||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 4||Valentines Day weekend|
|Feb 20||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 5||President's weekend|
|Feb 27||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 6|
|Mar 6||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 7|
|Mar 13||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 8||Daylight-Savings Begins|
|Mar 20||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 9|
|Mar 27||1:00pm – 4:00pm||Winter-Spring 10|
|Apr 2||1:00pm – 4:00pm||2022 ERROR Cup Race||Saturday - high tide 13:06|
|TBD||Season Dinner & Awards|
Any questions, fire away. If I cant anwer it, I will put you in touch with someone who can. Need a boat to charter? COVID questions? Send me something off list, which is fine too.